Have a story to tell? A theme to work on? An emotion to express? A mood to paint? Easy. You can do all this and more with Hindi film songs. For musical stories or theme-based songs or lyrical expressions of moods or...whatever, this promises to be a fun-filled ride. Come, get on the bandwagon!

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Costume Drama: Laaga Chunari Mein Daag

My parents (God, the creator) have sent me to my marital home (this world) with a clean chunari (self, soul), but I have soiled it by getting involved in worldly pleasures and sins. Now how do I hide it when I go back (leave this world)? How do I face them with a soiled chunari (tainted self)?

This is the essence of this classic from "Dil Hi To Hai" (1963). Raj Kapoor and Nutan played the lead roles in this film. A superb composition by Roshan, philosophical lyrics by Sahir Ludhianvi based on a Kabir bhajan (produced below), and Manna Dey's soulful voice make this solo an unforgettable number. Raj Kapoor plays the singer and Padmini, the dancer in this song.

Meri Chunri Mein Parigayo Daag Piya 
 
Panch Tat Ki Bani Chunariya
Sorah So Baid Laag Kiya 
Yeh Chunri Mere Maike Te Aayee
Sasure Mein Manva Khoye Diya
Mal Mal Dhoye Daag Na Chhute 
Gyan Ka Sabun Laye Piya 
Kahat Kabir Daag Tab Chhuti Hai
Jab Sahib Apnaye Liya


Singer: Manna Dey
Lyrics: Sahir Ludhianvi
Music: Roshan

No comments:

Post a Comment